Zydeco Green Beans
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dishes
- 2 1/4 Cups water
- 3/4 Cup white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon crushed mustard seeds
- 4 medium cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Tabasco pepper sauce
- 1 pound trimmed green beans
- 1. In large saucepan stir water, vinegar, sugar, mustard, garlic, bay leaves, salt and Tabasco sauce.
- Bring to boil then reduce heat and cover then simmer 5 minutes.
- Add beans then cover and simmer 10 minutes until tender crisp.
- Arrange beans in shallow dish and cover completely with vinegar mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight then serve cold.
Zydeco Green Beans is actually a redundancy. The exuberant music of Louisiana's black French-speaking Creoles is called zydeco, an idiomatic phonetic version of les haricots, French for snap beans. Serve these green beans as a relish, or as "stirrers" for Bloody Marys.