Zwei-Bohnenensuppe (Two Bean Soup)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beans
- 1 1/4 Cups white beans; dry
- 4 ounces ham; cubed
- 1 Cup cut green beans; *
- 1/4 Cup celery; diced
- 1 green onion; diced
- 1 onion; yellow, diced
- 1 potato; peeled and diced
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons unbleached flour
- 3/4 Cup beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 parsley; sprig
- * Beans can be either fresh or frozen. Do not use canned.
- Cover white beans with cold water and soak overnight. Drain and place beans in a 2-quart saucepan. Add ham and enough cold water to cover beans by 1 inch.
- Bring water to a boil and simmer for about 1 hour or until beans are tender. Add green beans, celery, onion and potato. Add enough water to cover the vegetables; simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a frypan melt butter and stir in flour. Cook, stirring until lightly browned. Remove from heat and stir in heated beef broth.
- Cook mixture until smooth.
- Stir mixture into the soup and simmer until soup is thickened and vegetables are tender. Season woth salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.