An astonishingly delightful dessert with amazing flavor! Zuppa Inglese is a wonderful, layered confection that pleases the most discerning palate.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 10 servings
- 1 Pan di Spagna baked and cooled
- 1 Quart milk
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 12 egg yolks
- 2/3 Cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 Cup water
- 2/3 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup dark rum
- 3/4 Cup heavy cream
- chocolate shavings
- candied fruit
- BRING THE MILK and half the sugar to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Whisk the egg yolks in mixing bowl and beat in the remaining sugar. Sift in the flour and beat it in. Beat 1/3 of the boiling milk into the egg mixture. Return the remaining milk to a boil and beat in the egg mixture, continuing to beat until the pastry cream thickens and comes to a boil.
- Cook, beating about 1 minute. Remove the cream from the heat and pour half into each of 2 bowls. Stir the orange zest and vanilla extract into one and the chocolate and cinnamon into the other. Press plastic wrap against the surface of each and refrigerate until cold.
- FOR THE SYRUP: Bring the water and sugar to a boil in a small pan. Cool and add the rum.
- Cut the Pane di Spagna into thin vertical slices. Place a layer of the slices in the bottom of a glass bowl and moisten with the syrup. Spread with half the orange cream.
- Cover with another layer of the Pane di Spagna and moisten with the syrup and cover with a layer of the chocolate cream. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, ending with a layer of the cake slices and moistening with the remaining syrup. Whip the cream and spread on the top.
- Decorate with some chocolate shavings and the candied fruit.