Zucchini Ciambotta is an extraordinary vegetable dish that may be served as a side dish or vegetarian main course. Truly delicious. It is a classic dish of Calabrian origin.
- 2 onions
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 3 small zucchini (to medium)
- 2 baking potatoes; peeled
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove; minced
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Cut the onions, tomatoes, zucchini and potatoes into 1-inch cubes.
- In a large saucepan, cook the onions in the oil over medium heat until tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add the tomatoes, zucchini, potatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are very tender, about 30 minutes. Add a little water if the mixture seems dry.
- When the ciambotta is done, remove it from the heat and stir in the basil.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Each of 6 servings: 147 calories; 58 mg sodium; 0 cholesterol; 7 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 20 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams protein; 2.68 grams fiber.
Comments: Ciambotta is a member of that hard-to-define category of Italian foods known as minestre, generally somewhere between a thick soup and a stew. It is related to the French ratatouille, typically made with eggplant, onions and tomatoes, and the Sicilian caponata, made with more or less the same vegetables, plus celery and olives. In southern Italy, ciambotta (pronounced chahm-BOHT-tah) may also be spelled giambotta or cianfotta, depending on the region. This recipe works great with any summer squash. We used to make it with one we called cuccuzza, a pale green squash.
Simple, easy to make 60 Minute Mini-Loaves of bread are perfect for serving at formal or family dinn...
Simply extraordinary, Chocolate Pots de Creme may be served in a variety of containers. As individua...
Tuscan Primavera Pie offers a surprise vista of springtime vegetables in a modified Shepherd's Pie m...
Sweet and full of flavor, fresh peas and butterbeans are ideally paired to create a delectable and w...