Our Zucchini and Fennel Soup is delicious served with garlic bread. A joyful combination of flavors.
Zucchini and Fennel Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 bulb fennel, approximately 1/2 pound (225 g)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) lemon juice
- 2 ounces (50 g) butter
- 1 pound (450 g) zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 ounce (25 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 pint (600 ml) good chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 pint (150 ml) light cream or half-and-half
- chopped chives or parsley
- Trim the fennel and quarter.
- Cook in boiling salted water with the lemon juice until tender - about 20 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- Heat the butter in a large pan and add the sliced vegetables with a little salt and pepper.
- Cover, and cook slowly for 15 minutes.
- Slice the drained fennel and add to zucchini mixture.
- Raise the heat and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute, then stir in the flour, followed by the stock.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the soup, reserving the liquid.
- Sieve or liquefy the vegetables until smooth.
- Return to the pan with the liquid and the cream.
- Reheat, adding more stock or water if the soup is too thick, and taste for seasoning.
- Sprinkle with the chopped chives or parsley just before serving.