Zesty Marinated Zucchini And Squash
Author: Beverly Lynn Bennett
Recipe type: Canning, Side Dish
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 pound summer squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 hot red peppers, stemmed, seeded
- 1 red pepper, stemmed, seeded
- coarse salt, as needed
- 1/3 Cup freshly-chopped basil
- 1/3 Cup freshly-chopped parsley
- olive oil, as needed
- Begin by cutting the zucchini and summer squash into strips that are 3 inches long and 1/4-inch thick. Cut the hot red peppers and the red pepper into thin strips that are 3 inches long. Place all of the vegetables in a colander, sprinkle with the coarse salt, and place the colander over a bowl. Allow the vegetables to drain overnight. Using a towel, wipe the salt from the vegetables.
- Sterilize three 8 ounces jars and their lids by boiling them in a large pot of water for 15 minutes. Using tongs, remove the jars and lids from the water and place on a dry surface.
- For each jar, arrange the strips of vegetables upright in the jars, alternating the vegetables as you fill for a pretty presentation. Divide the chopped herbs evenly between the jars and fill the jars with enough olive oil to completely immerse the vegetables.
- Wipe clean the rims and seal with their lids. Label and date the jars. Store jars in the refrigerator. Serve as part of an antipasto platter, add to salads or sandwiches, or on bread.
- This recipe yields three 8-ounces jars.
Calories: 209 Fat: 2g Sodium: 30mg Fiber: 18g Protein: 14g Cholesterol: 0mg