This delicious spread is perfect at parties or day-time social functions. Easy on the palate and a pleasure to spread, it makes all who try it ask about the inventive chef.
- 1/2 Cup plain yogurt
- 1 garlic clove; minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped oregano or dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme leaves or, dried thyme
- 1 freshly ground pepper
- The Eggplant:
- 1/2 pound Japanese eggplants; or, firm shiny eggplant
- 1 large garlic clove; thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 thyme branches, if available
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or more, to taste
- lemon juice or, red wine vinegar
- coarsely ground pepper
- fresh herbs for garnish
- Preaheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Cut 5-or-6 long slits in the eggplant (fewer if you're using Japanese eggplants) and place a slice of garlic into each slit.
- Wrap the eggplant, together with the bay leaf and thyme branches, tightly in foil and bake until completely soft all over; 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours, depending on the size of the eggplant. If you're using the large eggplant, turn it over after 45 minutes and continue baking until soft to the touch and tender at the stem end.
- When done, remove eggplant from the oven, open the package and let sit for 5 minutes or so. Discard any liquid. When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, scrape the flesh away from the skin, put it into a food processor and add the yogurt mixture and the olive oil.
- Process until smooth, but leave a little texture. Stir in the lemon juice or vinegar to taste and season with salt.
- Turn the puree into a serving bowl and season with pepper and fresh herbs, such as thyme leaves and blossoms, marjoram or oregano. If those herbs aren't available, use some chopped parsley or scallions.
- Serve the spread at room temperature with crackers, pita bread or bread toasted and brushed with olive oil.
Opulent, yet rustic presentation affords a feast for both the palate and the eye with Avocado, Mint ...
Watermelon, Marinated Feta and Sunflower Shoot Salad with a Clear Tomato Jelly delivers an incredibl...
While some say making homemade potato chips is foolish as there are so many great commercial varieti...
Absolutely elegant, natural and delicious, this simple recipe will stun your guests with your culina...