Yakitori (Broiled Chicken, Scallions and Chicken Livers) I
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Poultry
- 3 Tablespoons sake (rice wine)
- 1 Tablespoon all purpose soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1 inch piece ginger root cut into paper thin slices
- 8 chicken livers; trimmed of all fat
- 2 whole chicken breasts or 4 legs; boned and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 scallions; including 3 inches of the green stems, cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch long pieces
- 1 1/2 Cups teriyaki sauce
- kona sansho (Japanese pepper)
- PREPARE AHEAD:
1. Combine the sake, soy sauce, sugar and sliced ginger in a 1 to 1 1/2 quart mixing bowl and add the chicken livers. Turn them about in the marinade to moisten them well, and marinate at room temperature for at least 6 hours, or overnight in the refrigerator. Then remove the livers from the marinade and cut each one in half. Reserve the marinade.
- On each of 4 small skewers, string 4 halved chicken livers. On each of 8 additional skewers, alternate 4 chunks of chicken with 3 strips of scallion.
- TO COOK:
Preheat the broiler, or light a hibachi or charcoal grill. Broil the skewered livers about 3 inches from the heat for about 4 minutes. Then dip them in the teriyaki sauce and broil for 4 to 5 minutes on the other side. Set the livers aside on a plate.
- Quickly dip the chicken and scallion skewers into the teriyaki sauce and broil on one side for 2 or 3 minutes. Dip again into the sauce, grill for 2 minute, dip once more, and grill on the other side for an additional 2 minutes. The entire grilling should take 6 to 7 minutes in all.
- TO SERVE:
Place 1 skewer of chicken livers and 2 skewers of chicken and scallions on each serving plate. sprinkle with a little kona sansho, and moisten each skewer with a ts. or so of the marinade.