The tender sweetness of veal is complimented by the rich flavor of wood smoke and earthy taste of mushrooms in Wood Grilled Veal Rib Chop with Wild Mushrooms, an outstanding recipe for two.
- 2 veal rib chops (12 ounces each); Frenched, (use loin chops if available)
- 1 Cup wood chips, mixed or whatever flavor you choose; lightly dampened
- 1 Cup fresh Shiitake mushrooms; stemmed, julienned
- 1 Cup fresh Portabello mushrooms; stemmed, julienned
- 1 Cup fresh Crimini mushrooms; julienned
- 1 1/2 Cups reduced veal stock; see * Note
- 3/4 Cup good red wine, such as Cabernet
- olive oil; as needed
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- * Note: If you cannot get veal stock, you may purchase a good quality beef broth and reduce it over medium-high heat by half to obtain amount needed and to strengthen the flavor.
- Preheat your grill. In a saute pan, saute 2 tablespoons olive oil and all the mushrooms, over medium-high heat. Once the mushrooms have begun to cook, deglaze the pan with the red wine, reduce heat to medium and simmer until red wine is reduced by half.
- Salt and pepper the chops, place the dampened wood chips under the grates (use caution when doing this, the grates are hot, and the chips may flame). Place the veal chops on the grill, marking a quarter turn to give good grill marks. Grill the chops until medium-rare, or temperature of choice.
- Add the veal stock to mushrooms and reduce heat to low simmer and reduce again by half. Salt and pepper to taste, hold hot until chops are ready. Serve with homemade mashed potatoes, place veal chops on plate, coat with the mushroom sauce.
NOTES : Specialty Recipe from The Doveberry Inn & Restaurant, West Dover, VT. Serve with the same wine used in the recipe. A rich Cabernet goes divinely with the flavors of this dish.