Witches Hair and Sea Creatures is an incredible Italian dish ideal for Halloween Night’s dinner. It is scary for young and old. Beware that every bite may bite back!
Witches Hair and Sea Creatures
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
Serves: 2 to 4
- 2/3 packet of black squid ink spaghetti
- 1 Cup of shrimp – peeled (leave some with their heads on since it’s Halloween and they look more monster-ish)
- 1 Cup of calamari – the tentacles look particularly spooky (buy this frozen and defrost it for 15 minutes on the counter top before using)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil (or chili oil if you have it)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 Cup of white wine
- 1 handful parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, salt well (about 1 Tablespoon), return to the boil and add the pasta.
- Cook according to the packet directions – for dried stop cooking a minute less than the packet time to make sure it’s al dente, for fresh, knock off 30 seconds or so.
- While the pasta is cooking:
- Rinse the shrimps and the calamari, and devein the shrimps. You do this by cutting into their backs and scraping out the black vein.
- Mince or grate the peeled garlic cloves, chop up the parsley and set aside.
- When there’s about 2 minutes to go on the pasta:
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the minced garlic.
- Toss in the calamari and the shrimps and stir for a minute – the shrimp will turn bright pink.
- Pour in the wine and let it reduce for a minute, then add a small ladleful of pasta water.
- Drain the pasta and toss into the frying pan.
- Top with the parsley and season with salt and lots of black pepper.