You will find that Winter Minestrone is an absolutely perfect, inexpensive and purely delightful soup at any table. Intensely flavorful. A truly delectable potage ideal for a soup course or main. Serve with crusty Italian bread.
- 2 bunches Swiss chard
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red onions; roughly chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb; roughly chopped
- 3 slender carrots; thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can tomato puree (14 1/2 ounce)
- 3 cans low sodium chicken broth (14 1/2 ounces) (or low sodium vegetable broth)
- 1 can cannellini beans (15 ounce); rinsed, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- grated Pecorino-Romano cheese
- Strip chard leaves from stems, then stack leaves and slice. Roughly chop stems. Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, fennel, carrots, chard stems and garlic. Cook until onions soften, stirring often, about 12 minutes.
- Add 1/2 chard leaves, tomato puree, broth, beans, oregano, red pepper flakes, vinegar and salt. Stir well. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Soup should be thick; if it appears too thick, cautiously add more water to taste. Stir remaining chard leaves into hot soup a few minutes before serving and cook until just heated through, about 1 minute. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve immediately. Pass Pecorino cheese separately.
Each of 8 servings: 173 calories; 794 mg sodium; 0 cholesterol; 5 grams fat; 28 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams protein; 1.69 grams fiber
Mozzarella, Fig and Arugula make a perfect salad combined with a simple Balsamic vinaigrette. The s...
Maple candies with peanut butter? You bet and Maple Buckeyes are absolutely wonderful. Shhh - the ch...
Simple Polenta is the perfect accompaniment for braised meats, grilled seafood, or a variety of othe...
Orange-Spice Coffee Cake offers a delicate blend of orange and spice. Perfect for breakfast, brunch...