You will find that Winter Minestrone is an absolutely perfect, inexpensive and purely delightful soup at any table. Intensely flavorful. A truly delectable potage ideal for a soup course or main. Serve with crusty Italian bread.
- 2 bunches Swiss chard
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red onions; roughly chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb; roughly chopped
- 3 slender carrots; thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can tomato puree (14 1/2 ounce)
- 3 cans low sodium chicken broth (14 1/2 ounces) (or low sodium vegetable broth)
- 1 can cannellini beans (15 ounce); rinsed, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- grated Pecorino-Romano cheese
- Strip chard leaves from stems, then stack leaves and slice. Roughly chop stems. Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, fennel, carrots, chard stems and garlic. Cook until onions soften, stirring often, about 12 minutes.
- Add 1/2 chard leaves, tomato puree, broth, beans, oregano, red pepper flakes, vinegar and salt. Stir well. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Soup should be thick; if it appears too thick, cautiously add more water to taste. Stir remaining chard leaves into hot soup a few minutes before serving and cook until just heated through, about 1 minute. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve immediately. Pass Pecorino cheese separately.
Each of 8 servings: 173 calories; 794 mg sodium; 0 cholesterol; 5 grams fat; 28 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams protein; 1.69 grams fiber
Salmon Parcels with Asparagus, Spinach and Tomato is an enjoyable blending of vegetable flavors with...
Ann Sather's famed Cinnamon Rolls are the most wonderful thing to serve for breakfast, particularly ...
You'll go nuts for the incredible flavor of Chestnut, Walnut, and Red Wine Loaf, a wonderful substit...
Lemon Pudding Cake is unusual, creative and delicious. You'll find the results will delight all who ...