Positively simple, without sugars, Winesap Apple Turnovers are delightful treats that may be served for breakfast and are naturally sweetened by the apples alone.
Winesap Apple Turnovers
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Desserts
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 winesap apples, peeled, cored, diced
- 6 inch circles frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten with a little water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in skillet and saute apples for a minute, just until softened. Cool.
- Grease a cookie sheet with remaining butter. Arrange the apples in the center of the 4 puff pastry circles.
- Fold the circles in half and pinch the edges closed with your fingertips or a fork.
- Brush on the egg sparingly on the tops of the turnovers. Place on greased cookie sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes until the pastry has risen and is golden brown.
- Serve warm.
From the cookbook "Apples" by Robert Berkley.