A very sweet sauce well suited to the traditional Plum Pudding.
Wilson Family Sauce for English Plum Pudding
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert Sauces
Serves: 1 batch
- 2 Cups light brown sugar
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 Cups water
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or
- 2 teaspoons favorite flavoring*
- 1 lemon; juice of
- 1 Cup marshmallows
- * Brandy, rum or whiskey, for instance.
- Combine brown sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add the water and butter. Stir over medium heat until the mixture boils, then cook until mixture clarifies and thickens slightly, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the flavoring, lemon juice and marshmallows.
- Serve hot over plum pudding.
From Marilyn Kluger's "A Dickens of a Delight: Christmas Plum Pudding is a Holiday Treat Straight from Merry Olde England".