Whole Wheat Pizza
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Pizza
- 1 Cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
- 1 package (or 1 Tablespoon) active dry yeast; or
- 1 cake yeast
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 Cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 Cup tomato sauce or, pizza sauce
- 1/2 to 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 Cup raw broccoli pieces
- 1 Cup raw mushroom slices
- 8 ounces part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Combine the water, yeast, honey and the 1 cup of whole wheat flour in a large bowl.
- Beat 100 times until mixture is smooth. Let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes. Add the salt, oil, Cheddar cheese, pepper, caraway seeds, garlic powder and 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 ups whole wheat flour. Mix well and let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Pat out the dough onto a baking sheet for 1 large pizza or divide the dough in half and make two medium-size pizzas. Top with the pizza sauce, oregano, vegetables and mozzarella.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serves 8.
- One Serving = Calories: 305 Carbohydrates: 33 Protein: 18 Fat: 12 Sodium: 430 Potassium: 378 Cholesterol: 31 Exchange Value: 2 Medium-Fat Meat Exchanges + 2 Bread Exchanges + 1 Vegetable Exchange
Source: Holiday Cookbook, American Diabetes Association, ISBN 0-13-024894-0, by Betty Wedman, M.S.,R.D.