Whole Roast Chicken
This pairs well with roasted parsnips or turnips.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
- 1 4-pound whole chicken
- 1 Cup Herb Butter, softened, recipe follows
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quarted
- 3 lemons
- Kosher salt and pepper, as needed
- vegetable oil, as needed for the pan
- 1 Cup butter
- 1/4 bunch fresh parsley
- 1/4 bunch fresh chives
- 1 Tablespoon thyme
- 3 sprigs tarragon, leaves picked
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
- Spread a thin film of vegetable oil on the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Evenly spread softened Herb Butter between chicken skin and breast.
- Cut off wingtips; truss chicken. Season well with salt and pepper, especially inside cavity.
- Cut one lemon in 6 even slices, crosswise. Insert lemon and onions inside the cavity. Cut off wingtips; truss chicken.
- Cut remaining lemons in half, crosswise. Add to the roasting pan, cut sides down.
- Roast chicken for 45 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove from the oven.
- Allow chicken to rest at least 10 minutes. Remove lemon and onions from inside cavity. Cut chicken into four pieces and serve with a roasted lemon half.
- Combine butter, parsley, chives, thyme and tarragon in food processor; blend until completely combined. Store chilled.
(Visited 66 times, 1 visits today)