White Chocolate Bavarois is a glorious treat of French origin, named to honor the culinary traditions of Bavaria. The luscious pudding is richly flavored. Best served with a berry coulis (shown) or a chocolate sauce.
Created originally by Antoine Carême, the standard recipe calls for a pudding mixed with gelatin and flavored with an alcohol, such as rum or Kirsch. The mixture can also be paired with cakes and berries resulting in truly inspired desserts.
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 litre of whipping cream
- 2 sheets of gelatine, silver
- 1 Tablespoon white rum
- 150 grams white chocolate
- 5 Tablespoons milk
- raspberry coulis or sauce (optional)
- Break chocolate into pieces and put in a bowl and add the milk.
- Heat it 'au bain marie' and stir occasionally until chocolate has melted. Even better: put the non-metallic bowl in the microwave, heat for 2 times 2 minutes on low and stir well. Make sure the chocolate doesn't get too hot, because it will get lumpy (gritty) and useless.
- Let the melted chocolate cool down to room temperature, by putting its bowl in a larger bowl with cool water. The water should not be cold, or the chocolate will seize up and require re-melting.
- Put egg and sugar in a large bowl. Mix with an electric mixer until light and creamy (about 8 minutes). It should be a very pale yellow in color.
- Soak the gelatine leaves in lots of cold water for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Heat two tablespoons of water in a bowl / small pan until cooking. Wring out the gelatin to remove excess water. Don't be afraid of it. You can wring it out like a towel. Add the gelatin to the hot water.
- Remove gelatin from heat and dissolve the wrung-out gelatine in it. Let it cool a little.
- Put the rum, the melted chocolate and the dissolved gelatine into the bowl with the egg mixture. Fold together carefully with a large spoon (or two).
- Put the mixture in the fridge and let it set just a little or until you finished the next task:
- Whip the cream until stiff.
- Carefully fold the cream into the rest of the pudding. Put it in small bowls or one large bowl. You may use a Bavarian mould or simple ramekins for individual portions.
- Serve with raspberry sauce.
Sweet and tangy, Sweet-Hot Strawberry BBQ Sauce makes a perfect pairing with chicken, pork or seafoo...
A rich, flavorful cake with a sweet, delectable frosting, Southern Red Velvet Cake is an absolute de...
Broccoli, Red Pepper, and Almond Couscous is a wonderful side dish or vegetarian main course, offeri...
Stout-and-Onion Soup is a delicious English soup - completely different than its French counterpart ...