White Chocolate Bavarois is a glorious treat of French origin, named to honor the culinary traditions of Bavaria. The luscious pudding is richly flavored. Best served with a berry coulis (shown) or a chocolate sauce.
Created originally by Antoine Carême, the standard recipe calls for a pudding mixed with gelatin and flavored with an alcohol, such as rum or Kirsch. The mixture can also be paired with cakes and berries resulting in truly inspired desserts.
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 litre of whipping cream
- 2 sheets of gelatine, silver
- 1 Tablespoon white rum
- 150 grams white chocolate
- 5 Tablespoons milk
- raspberry coulis or sauce (optional)
- Break chocolate into pieces and put in a bowl and add the milk.
- Heat it 'au bain marie' and stir occasionally until chocolate has melted. Even better: put the non-metallic bowl in the microwave, heat for 2 times 2 minutes on low and stir well. Make sure the chocolate doesn't get too hot, because it will get lumpy (gritty) and useless.
- Let the melted chocolate cool down to room temperature, by putting its bowl in a larger bowl with cool water. The water should not be cold, or the chocolate will seize up and require re-melting.
- Put egg and sugar in a large bowl. Mix with an electric mixer until light and creamy (about 8 minutes). It should be a very pale yellow in color.
- Soak the gelatine leaves in lots of cold water for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Heat two tablespoons of water in a bowl / small pan until cooking. Wring out the gelatin to remove excess water. Don't be afraid of it. You can wring it out like a towel. Add the gelatin to the hot water.
- Remove gelatin from heat and dissolve the wrung-out gelatine in it. Let it cool a little.
- Put the rum, the melted chocolate and the dissolved gelatine into the bowl with the egg mixture. Fold together carefully with a large spoon (or two).
- Put the mixture in the fridge and let it set just a little or until you finished the next task:
- Whip the cream until stiff.
- Carefully fold the cream into the rest of the pudding. Put it in small bowls or one large bowl. You may use a Bavarian mould or simple ramekins for individual portions.
- Serve with raspberry sauce.
Schnitzel - a breaded cutlet can be made with turkey cutlet with superb results. Treat it as you wou...
This rich, creamy cheesecake is a superb Italian creation that blends flavors which soothe the palat...
In our Butter Lettuce and Herb Salad, the soft texture and buttery richness of the lettuce are glori...
Basmati Rice, originating in India and Pakistan is truly a fragrant grain. Use it when serving spicy...