White Beans with Chorizo
Author: Barbara Norman
Recipe type: Beans
- 1 pound dried white beans
- 1 small onion
- 3 medium cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 2 Chorizo (or peperoni) sausages
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Put bay leaf, peeled garlic cloves, and half the onion in a pot with the white beans. Pour in cold water until it reaches 2-inches above the beans.
- Bring to a boil over slow fire with lid, then remove lid and simmer until beans are tender (1 1/2 to 3 hours).
- When beans are almost tender, remove onion, garlic cloves, and bay leaf.
- Chop second half of onion. Fry it in 3 tablespoons olive oil and either mash it in a mortar or force it through a sieve. In the same oil, brown the flour. Add a little of the liquid from the cooking of the beans, mix well, and add to bean pot with onion puree. Add the chorizo sausages, whole, and boil them gently with the beans for 10 minutes. Serve drained beans with chorizo sliced on top.
Recipe Source: THE SPANISH COOKBOOK by Barbara Norman