The simplicity in preparing White Asparagus Soup disguises the complexity of flavors found in this extraordinary soup. Extraordinary.
White Asparagus Soup
Author: Hans Rockenwagner
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 2 pounds white asparagus peelings (to 3 pounds)
- 6 Cups water
- 1/4 Cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 Cup minced onion
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 Cup whipping cream
- freshly-ground white pepper, to taste
- 4 white asparagus spears; cooked
- Bring the asparagus peels and water to a boil in a 4-quart saucepot. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the peels about 20 minutes, then strain, reserving the broth.
- Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until melted. Stir in the onion and cook until tender, but not browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in the flour. Cook and stir until blended and smooth, about 1 minute. Stir in 5 Cups of the asparagus peel broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in the cream and white pepper to taste. Simmer 1 minute.
- To serve, cut the asparagus spears into 1-inch slices and put a few slices in the bottom of each bowl. Divide the soup among the bowls and serve.
Optionally, garnish with finely chopped parsley or chives.
Serving size: 1 serving Calories: 216 Fat: 18g Saturated fat: 11g Carbohydrates: 13g Sodium: 139mg Fiber: 2.79g Protein: 5g Cholesterol: 52mg