West Texas Red Beans
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beans
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder (red)
- 2 small red peppers
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- Remove dirt, rocks, etc. from the beans.
- Wash beans in several changes of water.
- Place all ingredients in a pan and cover with water and cook over low heat until beans are tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Caution: to avoid burning the beans, you must add water from time to time. Sometimes we soak them for about two hours before cooking to avoid having to add so much water.
- To change recipe to Juan's Frijoles Borrachos (Drunken Beans), add one can of either Lone Star or Pearl Beer to recipe with 4-5 sprigs of fresh cilantro.
Remember, real Texas beans HAVE NO MEAT. Serve with fresh tortillas and hot sauce.