Welsh Gingerbread is an exceptional cake and the kind you’ll eat with a fork. Not for making houses, but great with a cup of cream tea or glass of milk. Gingerbread is a delight throughout the Winter season and not limited to the holidays. It’s wonderful when served with apple sauce or sauteed apples or ice cream.
- 3 pounds flour
- 7 teaspoons ground ginger
- 6 ounces black treacle or dark molasses
- 1/4 pint milk
- 6 ounces Demerara sugar (Sugar in the Raw)
- 1/4 pound butter
- 2 ounces minced peel
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar, for dusting
- Sift the flour with the bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar.
- Rub the butter into the flour and add the other dry ingredients. Add the treacle and milk. Mix well.
- Place in a greased loaf pan and bake in a slow oven (300 degrees F. or Mark 2) for 1 1/2 hours.
- Dust the cooled cake with powdered sugar just before cutting and serving.
The quintessential Spanish recipe; Paella is full of exciting flavors and enticing textures. Visuall...
Buffalo Chicken Wings with Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce has become an American classic, and perfect for...
Guinness Black and White Chocolate Mousse is seriously astonishing for its depth of flavor and stunn...
Eggplant Flan with Red and Yellow Tomato Coulis is an exceptional delight - a blend of flavors that ...