Welsh Batch Scone
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Breads and Rolls
- 2 Cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 Cup solid vegetable shortening, cut in chunks
- 3/4 Cup superfine sugar
- 1/4 Cup raisins (plumped)
- 1/3 Cup pitted dates, quartered
- 1/4 Cup milk (about)
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 Tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- Rich and spicy, the scone is baked in one piece.
- Preheat oven to 400F (205C). Grease a large baking sheet; set aside. Sift flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, mace and coriander unto a large bowl. With your fingers, rub in shortening until mixture is crumbly.
- Add sugar, raisins, and dates; mix well. Turn out onto baking sheet and pat with your hands to make an 8-inch round about 3/4-inch thick.
- With a sharp knife, score top in 8 wedges. Brush with egg yolk and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to wire rack and cool about 5 minutes. Serve warm with butter.