Weisse Bohnensuppe (White Bean Soup)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beans
- 1 pound navy beans; dry
- 3 Quarts water
- 1 ham bone or hock; smoked
- 2 Tablespoons parsley; chopped
- 1 Cup onions; finely chopped
- 1 garlic; clove, minced
- 2 Cups celery with tops; finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cover beans with water in large pot or soup kettle and soak overnight.
- Rinse beans well and return to pot with ham bone and 3 quarts of water.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours. Add parsley, onions, garlic, celery and tops, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Remove ham bone, dice the meat, and add meat to soup.
- Serve hot.