A flavorful, sweet accompaniment to summertime picnics and barbecues, this luscious delight uses the part of watermelon normally discarded with great results.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Pickles
Serves: 12 half pints
- 4 pounds watermelon rind (outer green peeled, pink pulp removed)
- 2 Quarts cold water
- 1 Tablespoon slake lime
- 2 Tablespoons whole allspice
- 2 Tablespoons whole cloves
- 1 Quart vinegar
- 1 Quart water
- 3 1/2 pounds sugar
- 6 pieces stick cinnamon
- Remove all pink pulp from rind and peel. Weigh. Cut in 1-inch cubes.
- Combine cold water and lime; pour over rind. Let stand 1 hour. Drain.
- Cover with fresh cold water. Simmer 1 hour or until tender. Drain.
- Tie spices in cheesecloth. Combine vinegar, remaining water and sugar. Heat until sugar dissolves. Add spice bag and rind. Simmer gently 2 hours. Add green vegetable color to your taste.
- Pack rind in hot sterile jars. Fill with boiling hot syrup. Seal.