Watermelon and Red Onion Salad is simple, tangy, sweet and cool with an exceptional combination of flavors and textures that are wonderfully soothing to the palate. Exceptional cuisine.
- 1 Tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1/3 Cup raspberry vinegar
- 1/3 Cup fresh or frozen raspberries, pureed and strained
- 2 teaspoons honey (or to taste)
- 1/3 Cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 bunches watercress, stems removed
- 8 Cups watermelon cut into 1-inch cubes (use both red and yellow watermelon if available)
- Feta or Ricotta Salata cheese, crumbled (optional)
- julienned mint leaves (optional)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the shallots, vinegar, raspberry puree, honey and oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Separate the onions into rings.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the onions and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
- Put the cubed watermelon in a bowl with the onion rings and mix gently.
- Place watercress on each plate. Top with watermelon and onion mixture.
- Garnish with cheese and mint leaves (if desired).
To serve, arrange a bed of watercress on each chilled plate.
Top with the cubed watermelon and drape the onion rings on top.
Drizzle with the vinaigrette and garnish with the mint leaves, 1/3 cup if desired.
Recommended wine: a fruity, slightly Gewurztraminer or Johannesberg Riesling accentuates the sweet melon and rasberry tastes in this salad.
This recipe was created by the executive chef at Jack's Tavern, Belmar, NJ.