Watermelon and Red Onion Salad is simple, tangy, sweet and cool with an exceptional combination of flavors and textures that are wonderfully soothing to the palate. Exceptional cuisine.
- 1 Tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1/3 Cup raspberry vinegar
- 1/3 Cup fresh or frozen raspberries, pureed and strained
- 2 teaspoons honey (or to taste)
- 1/3 Cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 bunches watercress, stems removed
- 8 Cups watermelon cut into 1-inch cubes (use both red and yellow watermelon if available)
- Feta or Ricotta Salata cheese, crumbled (optional)
- julienned mint leaves (optional)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the shallots, vinegar, raspberry puree, honey and oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Separate the onions into rings.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the onions and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
- Put the cubed watermelon in a bowl with the onion rings and mix gently.
- Place watercress on each plate. Top with watermelon and onion mixture.
- Garnish with cheese and mint leaves (if desired).
To serve, arrange a bed of watercress on each chilled plate.
Top with the cubed watermelon and drape the onion rings on top.
Drizzle with the vinaigrette and garnish with the mint leaves, 1/3 cup if desired.
Recommended wine: a fruity, slightly Gewurztraminer or Johannesberg Riesling accentuates the sweet melon and rasberry tastes in this salad.
This recipe was created by the executive chef at Jack's Tavern, Belmar, NJ.
La Paella Crema Catalana is the Spanish version of Crème brûlée. A luscious custard is topped with s...
With an interesting variation of Hollandaise, Eggs Benedict with Salmon greatly differs from the ori...
A hearty rye bread perfect for making outstanding sandwiches, or as an accompaniment to soups, salad...
There is a unique delicacy to Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder and a candy-like quality to its flavor. ...