A very flavorful, rich and healthful soup, Warszawa Borscht is not very popular in America, but terrific once you try it. This Polish version is particularly delicious.
- 1 bunch large beets or 2 bunches small beets (tops removed)
- 8 Cups water
- 1 onion; diced
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 pound Polish sausage; diced
- 1 bunch green onions; sliced
- coarse salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1/4 Cup lemon juice
- 2 Cups cooked small white beans
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 Cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 Cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1 hard-boiled egg; sliced or crumbled
- Cook beets in water over medium-low heat until soft, 45 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid in soup pot. Peel and grate beets. Add to reserved liquid.
- Saute onion in butter over medium heat until softened, 5 minutes. Add sausage and green onions and saute until sausage is heated through. Add sausage mixture to beet soup mixture. Add salt to taste and white pepper.
- Bring soup to boil; boil 5 minutes. Add lemon juice, beans, sugar, parsley and dill, reserving some of parsley and dill for garnish. Return soup to boil. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream; do not let boil. Ladle borscht into 8 serving bowls and garnish each with egg, remaining dill and parsley.
Sumptuous, bubbling goodness are words that come to mind with this simple All-in-One Tuna Casserole....
Autumn Pasta brings the harvest season to the table in wonderful ways, introducing the best flavors ...
Our tasteful Sherried Barley Soup provides a perfect potage of earthy flavors and ingredients to soo...
Bavarian Pot Roast is a warming, soothing comfort food that embodies the taste of the season. Simply...