A very flavorful, rich and healthful soup, Warszawa Borscht is not very popular in America, but terrific once you try it. This Polish version is particularly delicious.
- 1 bunch large beets or 2 bunches small beets (tops removed)
- 8 Cups water
- 1 onion; diced
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 pound Polish sausage; diced
- 1 bunch green onions; sliced
- coarse salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1/4 Cup lemon juice
- 2 Cups cooked small white beans
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 Cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 Cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1 hard-boiled egg; sliced or crumbled
- Cook beets in water over medium-low heat until soft, 45 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid in soup pot. Peel and grate beets. Add to reserved liquid.
- Saute onion in butter over medium heat until softened, 5 minutes. Add sausage and green onions and saute until sausage is heated through. Add sausage mixture to beet soup mixture. Add salt to taste and white pepper.
- Bring soup to boil; boil 5 minutes. Add lemon juice, beans, sugar, parsley and dill, reserving some of parsley and dill for garnish. Return soup to boil. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream; do not let boil. Ladle borscht into 8 serving bowls and garnish each with egg, remaining dill and parsley.
Strawberry Pie is a perennial favorite throughout the United States. With strawberries always availa...
Grilled Duck Breast Epicurus is our own wonderful creation. Seriously easy to make, delicious to eat...
Shaved Fennel Salad is magnificently flavored with Parmesan cheese, green olives, lemon and other de...
Gazpacho Rápido is a speedy, flavorful chilled soup that tempts and tantalizes the taste-buds with t...