Warm Salad with Yellow Lentil Cakes
Author: John Ash
- 1/2 pound yellow lentils
- 1/2 Cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons seeded, chopped serrano or jalapeno; or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons good curry powder; or to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- vegetable oil; for sauteeing
- 2 bunches young watercress or other savory greens; tough stems removed (such as arugula and/or mizuna)
- Sweet Garlic and Olive Salsa, see Recipe
- Wash the lentils in several changes of water to remove any debris. Place in a bowl and cover with at least 2 inches of cold water and allow to soak overnight.
- Add lentils along with next 9 ingredients to a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process for a minute or so until well combined.
- Add 1/4 inch oil to a deep saucepan and test fry a spoonful of lentil mixture over moderate heat until golden-brown on both sides. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Store uncooked lentil mixture covered and refrigerated up to 2 days.
- To serve: Heat oil and saute rounded tablespoon quantities of lentil mixture in hot oil until golden-brown on both sides. Be careful not to crowd cakes.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm in a low oven while finishing rest of cakes.
- You should have enough for 18 to 20 cakes.
- Place watercress attractively on plates and top with 3 of the warm lentil cakes.
- Spoon a tablespoon or two of Sweet Garlic and Olive Salsa in center and serve immediately.