This tropical mousse is accompanied by toasted coconut for a sweet and crunchy delight.
Warm Pineapple Mousse with Toasted Shredded Coconut
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Desserts
- 1 fresh pineapple; peeled, cored, pureed
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/4 Cup water
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 Cup coconut, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- In a medium saucepan place the pineapple puree and the heavy cream, and stir them together. Heat the mixture on medium for 8 to 10 minutes, or until it is reduced to a syrup. Keep it warm.
- In a small bowl place the egg yolks and the cornstarch, and beat them together. Add the egg yolks to the cream mixture. While whipping constantly, cook the mixture for 6 to 8 minutes, or until it is the consistency of a medium whipped cream. Set it aside.
- In a small bowl place the egg whites. Beat them with an electric mixer on low speed for 2 to 3 minutes, or until they are frothy. Turn the electric mixer on high, and while continuing to beat the egg whites slowly pour the sugar-water mixture down the side of the bowl.
- Continue to beat the mixture for 8 to 10 minutes more, or until the meringue is very shiny and the bottom of the mixing bowl is cool.
- Add the cream mixture to the meringue, and gently fold it in.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In each of 4 small souffle dishes place the mixture so that the dishes are half-filled. Add the shredded coconut. Fill the dishes up with the remaining mixture. Sprinkle the powdered sugar on top. Bake the mousse for 8 to 10 minutes, or until it is set. Remove it from the oven.
- Place the mousse under a preheated broiler for 30 seconds, or until the sugar is caramelized.