Author: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Recipe type: Accompaniments
Serves: 2 Cups
- 2 Cups water
- 2 Cups walnuts; broken large pieces
- granulated sugar
- vegetable oil
- Line a large, shallow pan with foil.
- In a deep saucepan, bring water to a full boil. Add walnuts; boil 1 minute. Rinse under water; drain. Toss walnuts with 1/3 Cup sugar.
- In deep saucepan, heat 1/2 inch oil to 350 degrees. Using a slotted spoon, add half the walnuts to the oil. Cook about 5 minutes, or until walnuts are golden, stirring constantly. Transfer to foil-lined pan. Sprinkle hot walnuts with salt to taste and additional sugar, if desired. Separate pieces; let cool.
- Repeat with remaining walnuts. Store in airtight container.
- Yields 2 cups.