Crunchy, sweet, fulfilling and so delicious, Waldorf Salad with Dried Cranberries is perfect served as a main course, side or in pita sandwiches. Cranberries add a unique and special flavor to this delightful recipe.
- 2 large Granny Smith apples; cored, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 Cup diced celery
- 3/4 Cup dried cranberries
- 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 Cup coarsely-chopped walnuts
- Combine apples, celery and cranberries in 2-quart bowl.
- Combine vinegar, honey and oil in small dish. Add to apple mixture. Sprinkle with salt. Toss until well mixed.
- Refrigerate, covered airtight, at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Spread walnuts in single layer on baking sheet and toast at 350 degrees F until fragrant, about 8 minutes. (Do not let brown or they will become bitter.)
- To serve, let apple-cranberry mixture stand 30 minutes at room temperature; toss in walnuts and adjust seasonings.
Recipe from Abby Mandel, author of "Celebrating the Midwestern Table" (Doubleday & Co., 1996)