Vietnamese Stir Fried Chicken with Lemon Grass
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Poultry
- For the Marinade
- 1 stick fresh or 2 Tablespoons dried slices lemon grass
- 2 pounds chicken pieces, cut into small pieces
- 1 garlic clove, large
- 1/2 inch cube fresh ginger
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- You Also Need
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce OR salt to taste
- 4 to 8 Tablespoons chicken stock
- 3 1/2 ounces onions
- First prepare the marinade.
- If you are using fresh lemon grass, cut it crossways into very thin slices, starting at the bulbous bottom end and going up around 6 inches. Discard the strawlike top.
- If you are using dried lemon grass, soak it in 4 tb of hot water for an hour.
- Put the chicken pieces in a bowl, add the fresh lemon grass or the drained soaked dried lemon grass (save the soaking liquid).
- Peel and crush the large garlic clove, peel the ginger and grate it finely. Add the garlic, ginger, sugar, tomato paste, salt, chilli powder and turmeric to the chicken.
- Mix, cover and set aside for 1-24 hours, refrigerating if necessary.
- Peel and finely chop the two garlic cloves.
- Put the oil in a wok or large, lidded frying pan and set over a high heat. When it is hot, put in the garlic.
- Stir and fry for 30 seconds or until the garlic is golden. Add the chicken along with its marinade.
- Stir and fry for 5-6 minutes or until the chicken browns a little.
- Add the fish sauce and either the lemon grass soaking liquid or 4 tb stock. Stir once and cover.
- Cook on high heat for 5 minutes. Lift the lid and stir, adding another 4 Tablespoons of stock. Cover, turn the heat to low and cook for another 5 minutes.
- While the chicken cooks, peel the onions and cut them into a 3/4 inch dice.
- Separate the onion layers within the diced pieces.
- Turn the heat under the chicken to high, remove the wok lid, add the onion and fry for 1 minute.
- Lift the chicken out of oil and serve.