Vichyssoise is an American soup that’s both French and British in origin. Modeled after potato and leek soups, it offers a cold delight to anyone sipping the rich potage. Perfect in summertime. Serve in shallow bowls and garnish with chives.
- 3 Cups sliced peeled baking potatoes
- 3 Cups sliced cleaned leeks, white and pale green parts only
- 6 Cups chicken stock, homemade, or low-sodium commercial
- 1/2 Cup cream (to 1 Cup)
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground white pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons minced chives
- Combine the potatoes, leeks and stock in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer, partly covered, until the vegetables are very soft, about 45 minutes.
- Cool slightly, then puree in a blender, food processor or food mill.
- Remove the soup to a covered container and chill at least 4 hours or up to 3 days.
- Before serving, add as much cream as desired and season with salt and pepper.
- Chilled Watercress Soup: Decrease leeks to 2 cups; add leaves from 1 bunch washed and drained watercress 5 minutes before cooking time is finished. Omit chives and garnish with watercress sprigs.
- Chilled Spinach Soup: Proceed as above, substituting leaves from 1 bunch spinach for the watercress and adding 1 chopped garlic clove to the potato/leek mixture. Add a few grindings of nutmeg.
- Chilled Pepper Soup: Decrease leeks to 2 cups; add 1/2 to 1 cup peeled, roasted red bell peppers (prepared at home or from a jar) before pureeing the soup. Garnish with chopped chives or chopped chervil.
- Chilled Asparagus Soup: Decrease leeks to 2 cups; add 1 minced garlic clove to the potato/leek mixture, and add 1 to 1 1/2 cups blanched and cut-up asparagus spears along with 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk to the mixture 5 minutes before cooking time is up. For a low-calorie version, skip the cream enrichment or use only a tablespoon or two -- the nonfat dry milk makes this creamy without adding fat.
Irish Oxtail Soup is an incredible, rich, flavorful soup that's nutrient rich and powerfully tasty. ...
When it comes to steaks, the simplest preparation is always the best. Balsamic Steak is simple, but ...
Seriously economical, and perfectly flavorful, Steak and Guinness Pie brings richness to your table ...
While some say making homemade potato chips is foolish as there are so many great commercial varieti...