Vegetarian Harira delivers incredible flavor, luscious textures and an absolutely delicious soup experience.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions; sliced
- 1 can whole tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 20 cilantro sprigs
- 20 Italian parsley sprigs
- 8 Spanish saffron threads; lightly toasted
- 1/2 Cup whole wheat berries
- 6 Cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Cup lentils; rinsed, picked over
- 1 can garbanzo beans (15 ounce)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lightly beaten egg; (optional)
- juice of 2 lemons; (optional)
- cilantro leaves
- lemon wedges
- crusty bread
- Heat oil in large soup pot over medium-high heat. Fry onions, stirring occasionally, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend tomatoes, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, cilantro, parsley and saffron in blender. Add to onions, cover and bring to rolling boil over high heat. Lower heat to medium, add wheat berries and broth and cover tightly. Cook until wheat berries are fairly tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Add lentils and garbanzo beans with liquid. Cover and cook until lentils are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Ten minutes before serving, lower heat to simmer and season with salt and pepper to taste. Just before serving, beat egg with lemon juice in small bowl and add to soup, stirring with long wooden spoon until mixture forms strands.
- Ladle harira into individual soup bowls. Top with cilantro and serve immediately with lemon wedges and crusty bread.
Serving size: 1 bowl of 8 Calories: 268 Fat: 6g Carbohydrates: 39g Sodium: 1203mg Fiber: 2.94g Protein: 16g Cholesterol: 1mg