With rich aromatic flavor, the enticing Vegetable Consomme with Mushroom Ravioli offers added woodsy, earthy flavor with mushroom ravioli. Perfect for the start of an autumnal meal.
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 9 ounces leek, well washed, white and tender green part sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces carrots, pared and thinly sliced
- 6 ounces parsnips, pared and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces turnip, pared and thinly sliced
- 13 1/3 ounces can plum tomatoes in juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon leaf marjoram, crumbled
- 8 Cups water
- 1/3 Cup shallots, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons dry Port wine
- Saute onion, leek, garlic and ginger in 1 Tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until softened, about 10 minutes. Add remaining oil, carrot, parsnip and turnip; cook 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with juice, salt, marjoram and 8 cups water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat; simmer, covered, 45 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-meshed sieve, pushing on solids to extract all liquid.
- Discard solids.
- Set aside.
- Saute shallots in oil in skillet over medium-low heat until softened, about 6 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 10 minutes until mushrooms are soft and almost all liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in salt, pepper and Port.
- Cook 5 minutes over high heat until liquid has evaporated.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Lay 12 wonton sheets on a dry work surface.
- Cut each wonton in half lengthwise.
- Lay a scant teaspoonful of mushroom mixture on top-half of each wonton half.
- Dampen with water 4 sides of top half of wonton where mushroom filling is; fold dry half over filling; press down edges to seal.
- Repeat with remaining wonton wrappers and filling.
- Bring consomme to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Drop ravioli in; cook 2 minutes. Drop in diced carrot, parsnip and leek; cook 2 minutes.
Exchanges: 1 starch/bread, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Sour Cream Pound Cake is a delicious, lemony cake with a wonderful scent and flavor. Topped with a l...
Seared Scallops with Citrus Salad pairs both oranges and grapefruit with the sweet and seductive fla...
The term "Classic" in the title of this recipe is no understatement. Simply one of the best recipes ...
Caldo Gallego is an exciting, flavor-rich Spanish soup, with wonderful ingredients. It gives great w...