With rich aromatic flavor, the enticing Vegetable Consomme with Mushroom Ravioli offers added woodsy, earthy flavor with mushroom ravioli. Perfect for the start of an autumnal meal.
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 9 ounces leek, well washed, white and tender green part sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces carrots, pared and thinly sliced
- 6 ounces parsnips, pared and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces turnip, pared and thinly sliced
- 13 1/3 ounces can plum tomatoes in juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon leaf marjoram, crumbled
- 8 Cups water
- 1/3 Cup shallots, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons dry Port wine
- Saute onion, leek, garlic and ginger in 1 Tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until softened, about 10 minutes. Add remaining oil, carrot, parsnip and turnip; cook 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with juice, salt, marjoram and 8 cups water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat; simmer, covered, 45 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-meshed sieve, pushing on solids to extract all liquid.
- Discard solids.
- Set aside.
- Saute shallots in oil in skillet over medium-low heat until softened, about 6 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 10 minutes until mushrooms are soft and almost all liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in salt, pepper and Port.
- Cook 5 minutes over high heat until liquid has evaporated.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Lay 12 wonton sheets on a dry work surface.
- Cut each wonton in half lengthwise.
- Lay a scant teaspoonful of mushroom mixture on top-half of each wonton half.
- Dampen with water 4 sides of top half of wonton where mushroom filling is; fold dry half over filling; press down edges to seal.
- Repeat with remaining wonton wrappers and filling.
- Bring consomme to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Drop ravioli in; cook 2 minutes. Drop in diced carrot, parsnip and leek; cook 2 minutes.
Exchanges: 1 starch/bread, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Fresh Sage Polenta is an exciting, aromatic side dish perfect as the bed for a variety of your best ...
Lemon Tagliatelle is a Greek pasta recipe with a tangy freshness that can't be beaten. It is a great...
Few things are as wholesome and nutritious as a simple salad. BLT Salad Epicurus is one that packs ...
This incredible Avgolemono Soup is greatly complemented by the addition of cod, giving one the excep...