Another Hungarian classic, this veal dish incorporates the sweet, tart flavor of cherry and produces a deliriously delicious meal.
Veal Stew with Cherries
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Veal
- 2 pounds veal boneless, cubed 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Cup white beans dried
- 4 scallions whole, large, chopped
- 2 Cups sour cherries canned
- 1/2 Cup Madeira or Port wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon white pepper
- 1 Cup cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg freshly ground
- 6 Tablespoons sour cream
- Soak beans overnight, rinse and cook until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Dredge veal in the flour then brown in butter. Add scallions, cherries, wine, cherry juice, salt and pepper, and the nutmeg to the veal. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 90 minutes. Add the beans to the pot approximately 20 minutes before serving.
- If possible make this stew a day in advance, refrigerate, then reheat. It tastes better that way. Add the sour cream as a garnish at serving.