Veal Stew with Apples is best made with crisp, firm apples that hold up to cooking. Honey Crisps or Granny Smith’s are exceptional choices. The flavors are simply incredible in this delicious stew. A heartwarming compilation of great tastes.
- 6 to 7 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 pounds veal stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Cups veal stock or chicken broth
- 1 Cup apple cider, unfiltered, unsweetened
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 apples, cored and sliced (leave skin on)
- 2 Cups carrots, about 2-inches long, peeled
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet. Saute onion until tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to 5 quart Dutch oven.
- Add another 2 tablespoons olive oil to skillet and brown the veal over medium high heat, working in batches and adding more oil as needed. Add to Dutch oven.
- Lower heat under skillet and add 2 more tablespoons oil and the flour, stirring to make a paste. Add broth and cider, and stir up brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add thyme and tomato paste. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce over the veal in the Dutch oven. Cover and simmer for one hour. Uncover and add apples slices and carrots and simmer for another 50 minutes, gently stirring from time to time.
- Stir in parsley and serve.
This is an incredible side dish, worthy of your best roasts or grilled meats. Goes incredibly well w...
A simple Vanilla Custard is a wonderful dessert. Comforting, smooth and flavorful, its relaxing natu...
Apple-Raisin Stuffing is an incredible accompaniment to your holiday or weekend roast turkey or goos...
Garlic Parmesan Grilled Corn is a glorious blending of American and Italian flavors, celebrating the...