One of Spain’s dessert treasures, Vanilla Ice Cream (Crema de La Dama Blanca) is an easy to make frozen confection requiring no churning. The name translates to “White Lady Ice Cream”, it is simply exceptional.
- 1 Cup water
- 3/4 Cup very fine granulated sugar
- 3 1/3 Cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise)
- 4 1/3 Cups whipping cream
- Boil sugar and water in uncovered pot for 15 minutes or until it forms a syrup which will fall in a ribbon from a spoon dipped in the mixture and held vertically above it. Flavor milk with vanilla extract or, boil it slowly for 5 minutes with vanilla bean broken in two. Add milk to cooled syrup and mix thoroughly. Pour the mixture in ice trays or a metallic or safe plastic container in your freezer for several hours.
- When milk is lightly frozen, remove from the container and fold in stiffly beaten whipping cream. Return to ice trays and put back to the freezer.
- When the frozen cream is solid, remove it from trays and beat it until foamy with electric mixer or wire whisk. Return to freezing compartment in ice trays or a cake or pudding mold. Leave in freezer until it is the consistency of ice cream (about 4 hours), but do not allow it to become brick-hard; lower temperature of your freezer if necessary.
- Just before serving, unmold on a chilled platter or form balls with an ice cream scoop and pile them in a chilled bowl (this ice cream melts rapidly).
- Serve with a chocolate sauce or strawberry sauce made by steeping whole wild and domestic strawberries in hot raspberry jelly until jelly cools to lukewarm.
The recipe's Spanish title, translated literally, is "White Lady Ice Cream." Served with chocolate sauce, it becomes "White Lady in Devil's Robes," and with strawberry sauce, "White Lady in Purple."
These freshly made Potato Farls (pancakes) are served with a hearty Irish breakfast, or used as a ba...
Buttermilk Posset is an Anglo-Irish version of panna cotta. Similar in texture, though unique in fla...
Irish Chicken and Cabbage is an ideal main course for Sunday supper. It is humble, flavorful, genero...
Sweet, colorful, creamy and delicious, Blueberry Soup with Vanilla Custard Cream is best served as a...