Created by an Italian chef for the United Nations’ Delegate’s Dining Room, this delectable Corn Pudding is actually an American treasure. Simply wonderful flavor and textures create an exciting, superb side dish. Perfect Southwestern style cooking, straight out of New York!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 pound bacon; diced
- 1 red onion; diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 seeded diced poblano chile
- 4 Cups cooked fresh corn kernels (to 5 Cups)
- 1/4 Cup chopped cilantro
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Quart whipping cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 Cups cornmeal
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add diced bacon and brown lightly. Add onion, red bell pepper and poblano chile. Cook over low heat, covered, until tender. Add corn kernels and stir until cooked firm.
- Fold in cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool.
- Blend cream, eggs and cornmeal in mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place corn mixture in 2 1/2-quart baking dish and cover with egg-cream mixture. Place in larger dish filled halfway with warm water.
- Bake at 325 degrees until pudding is firm, about 30 minutes.
Each serving: 923 calories; 225 mg sodium; 499 mg cholesterol; 78 grams fat; 48 grams carbohydrates; 13 grams protein; 0.83 gram fiber
Per serving: 892 Calories (kcal); 78g Total Fat; (78% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 446mg Cholesterol; 371mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 14 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates
NOTES : Recipe from Louis Piuggi, the executive chef at United Nations Catering/Restaurants Associates