Ukrainian Pot Roast
Author: Tatiana Berov, Kyiv-Ukraine
Recipe type: Beef
- 1 Cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 onion, large, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 3 1/2 pounds pot roast
- 4 salt pork slices (or bacon)
- 2 Tablespoons scallions chopped
- 3/4 Cup red wine, Burgundy or Merlot
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 Cup mushrooms fresh sliced
- 2 potatoes, cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- Lay the salt pork slices in the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Next mix the scallions, carrot slices, potato cubes, and onion then place as a thick layer on top of the salt pork.
- Rub the pot roast with the salt and pepper as you wish and then brown it on all sides. Remove from pan and place into the roaster. Add the wine and sour cream. Be sure that the sour cream is at room temperature or it will toughen the meat.
- Place roaster cover on the roaster and cook in oven at 350 degrees F for 2 1/2 hours.
- Skim fat from juices after removing the roast. Thicken with flour add vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Strain the gravy and serve over the sliced meat.