Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are a seasonal favorite of ours. They’re simple and easy to make, and packed with flavor. Ideal for the Autumn table.
Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes
Adapted from a recipe by Beverly Lynn Bennett.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 6 large sweet potatoes (washed well, unpeeled)
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- Using a fork, pierce the skins of the sweet potatoes in several places. Place an oven-proof rack on a cookie sheet and place the sweet potatoes on the rack. Bake at 400 degrees for 60 to 75 minutes or until soft when gently squeezed. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and leave the sweet potatoes on the rack to cool for at least an hour.
- When they are cool enough to handle, cut each one in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, carefully scoop out the cooked flesh into a food processor, leaving the skin intact to form a shell, and set skins aside.
- Add the maple syrup, orange juice, ginger, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt to the food processor. Puree for 2 to 3 minutes or until very smooth and creamy.
- Lightly oil (or spray with a light mist of oil) a large cookie sheet or baking pan, and place the reserved sweet potato skins in the pan. Refill the skins with the puree mixture, evenly dividing it among the skins, and then swirl the top of each filled skin decoratively with the back of a spoon.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining cinnamon and brown sugar. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture over the top of each refilled skin.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Using a spatula, carefully transfer the halves to a large platter for service. Serve one Twice-Baked Sweet Potato half per person.
The Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes can also be made the day before and refrigerated overnight, brought to room temperature for 10 minutes, and then baked as directed above.
Calories: 83 Sodium: 98mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg