A hearty Czech dish that brings out the rich flavor of turnips and makes a great side dish for hearty roasts. Best served in colder months.
Turnips with Gravy
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Vegetables
Serves: 1 recipe
- 4 medium sized turnips peeled and cut in pieces
- pinch sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon shortening
- 1 Tablespoon flour, all-purpose
- Cook turnips with enough water to cover, season with little salt and a pinch of sugar.
- When cooked tender, take shortening in a skillet and flour, brown nicely, then pour the turnip juice (cooking liquid) in and make gravy.
- Add your turnips and simmer for few minutes.
Source: "Kolaches and other fine Czech Recipes", Prague