As a spread, this tuna and olive concoction can’t be beaten. Wonderful on toasted slices of French bread, or on pita. A surprising and pleasurable recipe for your next party or an afternoon snack.
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1/2 pound pitted imported black olives
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons capers; rinsed, drained
- 4 anchovy filets
- 1 can water or oil-packed tuna (6 ounce); drained
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh herbs or sprigs; for garnish
- If the anchovies are salt-packed, soak them for about 5 minutes in water and drain.
- Turn on a food processor and drop in the garlic. When it is chopped, turn off the machine and scrape down the sides.
- Add the olives, capers, anchovies, tuna, thyme, rosemary and mustard. Blend together until fairly smooth.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil and a generous grinding of pepper and continue to blend until you have a smooth paste.
- Scrape into an attractive serving bowl and garnish with herbs. Refrigerate 2 hours until ready to serve.
Each of 10 servings: 60 calories; 507 mg sodium; 10 mg cholesterol; 5 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 2 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams protein; 0.70 gram fiber.
NOTES : Martha Rose Shulman is the author of "Mediterranean Light" and "Provencal Light" (both published by William Morrow)
Larb GaiRecipe Type: Salads Cuisine: Thai Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens Prep time: 20 m...
Traditional Fondue is a glorious Swiss recipe of melted, flavored cheeses, wine, kirsch and spices. ...
Green Tea Sorbet is an exceptional integration of French and Japanese cuisines, resulting in a delic...
It seems everyone likes things made Buffal0-style. Here's a recipe for Crispy Lamb Riblets that wil...