As a spread, this tuna and olive concoction can’t be beaten. Wonderful on toasted slices of French bread, or on pita. A surprising and pleasurable recipe for your next party or an afternoon snack.
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1/2 pound pitted imported black olives
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons capers; rinsed, drained
- 4 anchovy filets
- 1 can water or oil-packed tuna (6 ounce); drained
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh herbs or sprigs; for garnish
- If the anchovies are salt-packed, soak them for about 5 minutes in water and drain.
- Turn on a food processor and drop in the garlic. When it is chopped, turn off the machine and scrape down the sides.
- Add the olives, capers, anchovies, tuna, thyme, rosemary and mustard. Blend together until fairly smooth.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil and a generous grinding of pepper and continue to blend until you have a smooth paste.
- Scrape into an attractive serving bowl and garnish with herbs. Refrigerate 2 hours until ready to serve.
Each of 10 servings: 60 calories; 507 mg sodium; 10 mg cholesterol; 5 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 2 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams protein; 0.70 gram fiber.
NOTES : Martha Rose Shulman is the author of "Mediterranean Light" and "Provencal Light" (both published by William Morrow)
Apricot Kuchen delivers extraordinary flavor with every bite. The fresh, tangy flavor of sweet apri...
Seafood Pozole is an incredible soup, filled with incredible flavors as well as healthful nutrients....
Basmati Rice, originating in India and Pakistan is truly a fragrant grain. Use it when serving spicy...
For a delectable, flavorful side dish, try our Cauliflower with Peas and Mushrooms and its delicious...