An inspired and inexpensive seafood hors d’oeuvre, this recipe makes a great presentation and is well appreciated by all who try it.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Appetizers
- 10 ounces canned white Albacore tuna, packed; in oil, drained*
- 1 Cup butter, softened
- 2 to 3 drops lemon juice
- 2 to 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 10 medium shrimp, cooked, shelled and minced
- 3 Tablespoons coarsely chopped pimiento
- 2 Tablespoons drained tiny capers
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine tuna, butter, lemon juice and Tabasco in a food processor or blender, process until mixture is smooth. Transfer to a bowl, add shrimp, pimiento and capers, mix well. Season with salt and pepper, taste and adjust seasoning (pate must be highly seasoned).
- Pack into a well-oiled 3-cup loaf pan or mold, chill 24 hours.
- To serve, let stand 30 minutes at room temperature, unmold on a plate.
- Garnish with parsley or watercress sprigs and sliced stuffed olives. Serve with buttered toast rounds.
- *Do not substitute water-packed tuna.
We used a fish-shaped mould, coating the inside with clear aspic with a slightly cooked carrot slice in each scale and thin cucumber slices near the gill area, then filling with the pate and sealing with an additional layer of aspic, and garnished the unmoulded pate with finely chopped aspic for outstanding results.