Tuna Niçoise, as a salad is one of the best seafood recipes ever created, but as a sandwich, this is extraordinary. Flavorful, with exceptional textures and unique tastes with each morsel. Wonderful for a picnic or summer party.
- 2 cans Italian tuna packed in olive oil (6 1/2 ounce size each)
- olive oil
- 2 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 Tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 red pepper; roasted, peeled, cored, seeded
- 1 yellow pepper; treated same as red peppers
- 1 pickled jalapeno; seeded minced
- 1/4 Cup diced red onion
- 2 Tablespoons chopped pitted olives; Kalamata
- 2 Tablespoons capers
- 12 ounces loaf Italian bread; halved
- 1 bunch watercress; trimmed
- Make dressing: Drain oil from tuna into glass measure; add oil to make 1/3 cup. Reserve tuna for sandwich. Place oil in blender with remaining ingredients; blend.
- In a bowl, mix vegetables, olives, and capers. Remove some soft inside from bread; discard (or freeze for stuffing). Brush inside loaf with some dressing; add remainder to pepper mixture. Mix in tuna gently, leaving chucks.
- Grill bread, oiled side down, until toasted. Pile tuna mixture onto toasted sides. Top with watercress; close.
25 g fat
16 mg cholesterol
1044 mg sodium