The Irish excel at the preparation of trout and this recipe is no disappointment to that reputation. Simply prepared yet exceptionally flavorful, it is a great main course or luncheon dish.
- 4 rainbow trout, gutted and well washed
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 dessertspoon chopped thyme
- 1 dessertspoon chopped parsley
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- grated lemon zest
- salt and pepper
- 1 dessertspoon Pernod; (optional)
- Combine ingredients for marinade. Coat fish evenly with marinade, cover and chill for at lest one hour. Grill, bake or barbecue the fish, basting with marinade occasionally.
- Allow 5 minutes each side for grilling, 12 to 15 minutes in a pre-heated moderate oven, 190 degrees C/375 degrees F/Gas Mark 5 if baking.
- Serve with baked potato and spinach.
- Substitutions: Sea trout, salmon cutlets.
A dessertspoon is equal to 2 US teaspoons or 2/3 of a US Tablespoon.