Fish cooked in foil is usually moist, tender and flaky. Papaya and ginger add a delightful tropical flavor and the orange juice and shallot blend to create an exceptional fresh-flavored sauce. Superb eating.
- 1 large slightly under ripe papaya
- 1 piece ginger root (2" long); peeled
- nonstick cooking spray; as needed
- 4 red snapper filets (6 ounces each); see * Note
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 Cup orange juice
- 2 shallots; minced
- 1/4 Cup chopped cilantro
- * Note: Select fish filets less than 1-inch thick and relatively uniform in size to ensure proper cooking. Fresh pineapple slices from the produce section make a nice finish to the meal.
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel the papaya with a sharp knife or vegetable peeler. Cut the papaya in half lengthwise and scoop out and discard the seeds. Place the papaya halves cut-side down and cut in 1/2-inch slices. Set aside.
- Cut the ginger root lengthwise into rectangles about 1/4-inch thick. Stack the rectangles and cut them into thin matchstick pieces. Cut the pieces in half lengthwise. Set aside.
- Cut 4 pieces of heavy-duty foil about 6 inches longer than the fish filets. Spray the foil lightly with nonstick spray. (If you're using regular foil, stack together 2 pieces, shiny-side down, for each packet.)
- Place each filet on a piece of foil, season with salt and pepper and spoon 3 tablespoons of orange juice over the top. Divide the papaya slices among the fish, setting them on top so they're overlapping slightly. Place the ginger pieces on top and sprinkle with the shallots.
- To seal the packets, bring the long sides of the foil up over the fish and fold the edges. Fold again, crimping the foil to form a tight seal. Press the foil to the fish. Double-fold the ends in toward the fish. Be careful not to tear the foil.
- Place the packets on a baking sheet and bake until the fish flakes with a fork, 15 minutes. Carefully unfold one end of the packet, letting the steam escape. Then open the top. Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve.
Each serving: 207 calories; 154 mg sodium; 63 mg cholesterol; 2 grams fat; 0 saturated fat; 8 grams carbohydrates; 36 grams protein; 0.73 gram fiber.