Traditional Scotch Broth is a truly wonderful soup, full of rich flavor. The mutton will be fork-tender. Makes a superb luncheon soup or main course soup for cooler days.
- 1 pound neck of mutton or boiling beef
- 2 Quarts cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons pearl barley
- 2 Tablespoons yellow split peas
- 2 Tablespoons dried green peas
- 2 medium size carrots
- 2 leeks
- 3 Tablespoons diced rutabaga
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 small cabbage
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the meat, water, salt and washed pearl barley into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil very slowly and skim. Dice the vegetables and wash and shred the cabbage and add to the pan.
- Bring the soup back to a boil again and simmer very gently until the meat is cooked and the peas are tender, about two hours. Add parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
Trimlestown Roast Sirloin is an amazing, magnificent, simple and flavor-rich meat dish suitable for ...
An aromatic, flavorful Minestrone Genovese, full of great textures and delightful tastes of differen...
Sweet Bourbon Sauce is packed with exceptional flavor and makes your barbecued ribs or chicken absol...
For a glorious Sunday feast, try an Irish Fresh Ham with Crackings and Pan Gravy. It's simply amazin...