Traditional Scotch Broth is a truly wonderful soup, full of rich flavor. The mutton will be fork-tender. Makes a superb luncheon soup or main course soup for cooler days.
- 1 pound neck of mutton or boiling beef
- 2 Quarts cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons pearl barley
- 2 Tablespoons yellow split peas
- 2 Tablespoons dried green peas
- 2 medium size carrots
- 2 leeks
- 3 Tablespoons diced rutabaga
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 small cabbage
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the meat, water, salt and washed pearl barley into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil very slowly and skim. Dice the vegetables and wash and shred the cabbage and add to the pan.
- Bring the soup back to a boil again and simmer very gently until the meat is cooked and the peas are tender, about two hours. Add parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
It's hard to resist a warm cinnamon-flavored Dutch breakfast treat, so when the Schnecken beckons, i...
Boston Creme Trifle is an extraordinary dessert, combining the delights of cake, pudding and topping...
The natural pectin of apple helps solidify our Cranberry Sauce into a molded shape. Simply beautifu...
The Devil's Dentures are simply wonderful confections perfect for the Halloween season. The kiddies ...