Traditional Scotch Broth is a truly wonderful soup, full of rich flavor. The mutton will be fork-tender. Makes a superb luncheon soup or main course soup for cooler days.
- 1 pound neck of mutton or boiling beef
- 2 Quarts cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons pearl barley
- 2 Tablespoons yellow split peas
- 2 Tablespoons dried green peas
- 2 medium size carrots
- 2 leeks
- 3 Tablespoons diced rutabaga
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 small cabbage
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the meat, water, salt and washed pearl barley into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil very slowly and skim. Dice the vegetables and wash and shred the cabbage and add to the pan.
- Bring the soup back to a boil again and simmer very gently until the meat is cooked and the peas are tender, about two hours. Add parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
There's nothing as elegant, formal or enjoyable as Petit Fours at afternoon tea or formal occasions....
The Roast Beef Blues Panini is a superb lunch recipe that perfectly satisfies the most intense hunge...
A classic of Sephardic cooking from Morocco, Cornish Hens with Fresh Figs is a delightful tagine pai...
Caramel Pecan Cheesecake Squares are perfect with a strong coffee or espresso for an evening dessert...