Tourtière is a Québécois savory meat pie, served by the slice, full of ground meat and often vegetables to create a tasty meal. The pies are made usually with pork, veal, or beef, but wild game is also common, particularly in remote areas. The mixture varies, based on location and may even be made with fish. The dish is often served for holidays, but it’s so good, it should be served anytime!
- 2 pounds pork; ground
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/8 teaspoon sage; ground
- 1/4 Cup raisins
- 1 water; boiling
- 1 onion; large
- 1/8 teaspoon mace; ground
- 1 new potato; small
- pepper to taste
- pastry for double crust pie
- Finely mince onion and garlic.
- Peel and grate potatoes.
- Place pork, onion, garlic, mace, sage, grated potato and raisins in large heavy pot. Cover with boiling water, about 2 Cups. Cook, uncovered over medium heat or till meat is no longer pink and water is absorbed, 30 to 45 minutes. Stir frequently, reducing water if necessary to avoid boiling. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Skim off excess fat.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Meanwhile prepare pastry.
- Line a pie plate with half of the pastry. Prick with fork and bake 10 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature. Pour cooled meat mixture into pie shell. cover with top crust. Crimp and seal edges and cut vents to allow steam to escape.
- Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F. and bake 30 more minutes or till crust is light brown and filling is bubbly. Serve hot.
A tourtiFre is a meat pie originating from Quebec, usually made with ground pork and/or veal, or beef. It is a traditional Christmas and New Year's Eve dish in Quebec, but is also enjoyed and sold in grocery stores all year long. This kind of pie is known as pGtT a la viande (literally, meat pie) in the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region. TourtiFre is not exclusive to the province of QuTbec. TourtiFre is a traditional French-Canadian dish served by generations of French-Canadian families throughout Canada, including the provinces of New Brunswick, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia.
The tourtiFres of the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean area are deep-dish pies made with potatoes and various meats (often including game), which are cut into small cubes or ground coarsely.
Flamed Peaches Epicurus is our incredible dessert made with fresh local peaches of good, large size....
One of the most interesting of its genre, Cream of Sweet Potato Soup exemplifies the glories of Sout...
The combination of pork and apple is the stuff of legend, but add some Brie, and it's a dream come t...
The tender flaky buttermilk biscuit crust adds a grand dimension to this exceptional Chicken Pot Pie...