Tournedos of Lotte with Lobster and Lobster Butter
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Seafood
- Lobster Butter:
- 2 1/2 pounds lobster
- 2 Tablespoon butter, clarified **
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 each carrot, peeled and coarsely - chopped
- 1 each celery stalk, trimmed and - coarsely chopped
- 1 each garlic clove, peeled, - crushed
- 1 each thyme, fresh, sprig or
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1 each tarragon, fresh, sprig or
- 1/4 teaspoon tarragon, dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tablespoon Cognac
- 3 pounds butter, unsalted
- 1/3 Cup tomato paste
- Lotte and Sauce:
- 18 each lotte, (monkfish), skinned - filleted; (about 2 ounces each)
- 1/2 Cup butter, clarified **
- 1/4 Cup shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup Cognac
- 2 Cups cream, whipping
- salt (to taste)
- pepper, white (to taste)
- parsley, sprigs
- ** See recipe for Clarified Butter.
- For Lobster Butter:
Steam or boil lobsters until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool, then remove all lobster meat from shells.
- Refrigerate meat, covered; set aside.
- In large saucepan, heat 2 Tablespoons clarified butter. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme, tarragon, and bay leaf; toss over high heat 3 minutes. Add lobster shells, stirring; then add 2 Tablespoons Cognac and stir for 3 minutes. Add butter and tomato paste and simmer gently, covered, 2 to 3 hours. Strain, pressing solids firmly. Set aside for 15 minutes. Skim any froth from surface and strain again through several layers of dampened cheesecloth, leaving behind any milky residue in bottom of pan (discard residue.) Cool, then chill or freeze in small containers.
- For Lotte and Sauce:
Pat lotte dry; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat 1/2 Cup clarified butter in heavy large skillet over medium high heat. Working in batches if necessary, saute lotte until lightly golden, about 2 minutes per side.
- Scatter shallot around fish and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Pour in 1/2 Cup Cognac and cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to warm serving plates and keep warm. Add 1 Cup cream to skillet and reduce by half. Add remaining Cup and boil until thick enough to coat a spoon lightly.
- Lower heat and spoon in the 1/2 Cup lobster butter a little at a time, whisking constantly. Strain sauce into clean saucepan.
- Cut reserved lobster meat into thick slices and add. Simmer gently 2 minutes.
- Place lobster pieces between pieces of lotte.
- Nap with sauce; garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
- Yield: 6 servings