Tortilla Soup is a wonderful soup, accented with corn and tortilla strips, avocado and cheese, and flavored with chipotle. Simply scrumptious.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 yellow onions; sliced
- 6 cloves garlic; chopped
- 1 ear corn; husk, silk removed (or 1 package frozen corn niblets, plain)
- 1 can tomato paste (6 ounces)
- 1 chipotle chile in Adobo sauce; or to taste
- 4 cans vegetable broth (14 1/2 ounces each)
- 1 avocado, seeded, skinned
- 1/4 pound Monterrey Jack cheese; grated
- 1/2 Cup chopped cilantro
- 1 Cup tortilla strips
- Heat oil over medium-high heat, add onions and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add garlic, lower heat to medium-low and continue cooking, covered, 10 minutes.
- While onions and garlic cook, roast corn in dry skillet over high heat until slightly charred, turning so it does not burn, about 5 minutes. Cut kernels from cob and set aside.
- Add tomato paste and chipotle to onions and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes. Add vegetable broth and bring to boil. Simmer 5 minutes. While soup simmers, chop avocado.
- Puree soup in blender. Divide cheese, avocado, cilantro, corn and tortilla strips among four bowls and ladle soup over top.
In colder months, when fresh corn is not available, use plain frozen corn niblets. Defrost the corn and pan sear to caramelize. You may also use the corn niblets without charring.
Serving size: each of 6 Calories: 300 Fat: 18 g Carbohydrates: 29 g Sodium: 1,713 mg Fiber: 2.36 g Protein: 9 g Cholesterol: 16 mg