This omelet is something of a Tapas twist: Tortilla de Patata. The Spaniards combine their eggs, onions, and potatoes to make a thick omelet-style tapas dish. It’s a different take on scrambled eggs with a side of potatoes!
This easy to make, hearty recipe combines layers of potatoes nestled with eggs, onions, and bright orange saffron. What we love about this recipe is that it uses ingredients we all have at home, readily available, perhaps with the exception of saffron.
Tortilla de Patata is a quick dish that’s versatile: it not only makes a great dish for breakfast or brunch, it’s hearty enough for dinnertime as well. It’s equally good served hot or cold.
For tapas, cut into 1-inch cubes and served warm, with a toothpick, it makes fantastic canapés or tapas. Delicioso!
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered and sliced thin. If you have a mandolin, that would be ideal to use, as you get a consistent cut of potato
- 1 small onion, sliced thin using a mandolin
- 6 large eggs
- 1 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron strands*
- In 2 Tablespoons of lukewarm water add the strands of saffron and let sit.
- Heat the entire cup of oil in a medium nonstick sauté pan over medium heat until hot.
- Add the sliced potatoes and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes until just cooked through.
- Season with salt and place on plate.Add onions to oil in sauté pan and cook over medium low heat for about 8 minutes until softened.
- Combine onions and potatoes in a bowl.
- Crack eggs into one medium bowl and whisk lightly just a few times, we want the eggs to remain gelatinous. Add the saffron mixture, onion and potato mixture, season with a scant teaspoon salt and mix to combine, lightly crush the potatoes into the egg mixture.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of your oil in an 8 inch nonstick pan until smoking. Add the egg mixture and shake the pan vigorously for about 20 seconds.Lower the heat to medium low and let cook, allowing the eggs to begin to set. You can move your spatula gently around the edges.
- Cook eggs for about 6 minutes until they are loose but no longer liquidy. Invert the tortilla onto a plate and flip it back into the pan.
- Cook for 1 or 2 more minutes until just set.
- You can either serve the tortilla de patatas warm or at room temperature.
When it comes to comfortfood on the typical American table, there's nothing quite like Tuna Noodle C...
A classic created in Mexico that has become traditional around the world. Caesar Salad is superb. Be...
Easy to make and better to eat, our gooey, saucy Bellissimo Pizza Burger is simply amazing. Unique ...
Delightful Cheesy Mushroom Canapes can make a simple party a great event. Combine these little treas...